Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 8 Step Program timing problem (v3) > Internal clock

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    red-noise

When I boot up my 8-Step, it shows that it has the v3 update.

I don’t use it with MIDI; I normally have it clocked internally.

Every once in a while, it hangs on a step momentarily before advancing. I haven’t been able to detect a pattern, it seems to do this at random moments. It is very noticeable and disruptive; at least 50ms.

I’ve tried using all 4 Global Tempo/Bounce modes, and it (mis)behaves the same in each mode.

Syncing to external CV (TR-606) doesn’t seem to produce the same glitch. There’s an occasional lag of <10ms or so, but nothing to complain about.

This feels like the same MIDI timing glitch which I read about that affected v1, but I understand that this was resolved in v2. And mine shows that it has the v3 update.

Any suggestions?

hopefully,
    – Scott

red-noise

Anybody?? Nobody?? I would love to resolve the timing issue on this…

Quote:
    When I boot up my 8-Step, it shows that it has the v3 update.

I don’t use it with MIDI; I normally have it clocked internally.

Every once in a while, it hangs on a step momentarily before advancing. I haven’t been able to detect a pattern, it seems to do this at random moments. It is very noticeable and disruptive; at least 50ms.

I’ve tried using all 4 Global Tempo/Bounce modes, and it (mis)behaves the same in each mode.

Syncing to external CV (TR-606) doesn’t seem to produce the same glitch. There’s an occasional lag of <10ms or so, but nothing to complain about.

This feels like the same MIDI timing glitch which I read about that affected v1, but I understand that this was resolved in v2. And mine shows that it has the v3 update.

Any suggestions?

hopefully,
    – Scott

It’s possible this is a defective unit or maybe just needs the firmware to be re-flashed. What are you using to power the 8 Step?

red-noise
    Quote:
    It’s possible this is a defective unit or maybe just needs the firmware to be re-flashed. What are you using to power the 8 Step?

I’m powering it with the original PSU that it came with. Re-flashing the firmware sounds like it’s worth a shot! What would be involved in doing that? Can that be done over MIDI / SYSEX?

thanks,
    – Scott

Quote:
    I’m powering it with the original PSU that it came with. Re-flashing the firmware sounds like it’s worth a shot! What would be involved in doing that? Can that be done over MIDI / SYSEX?

thanks,
    – Scott

Unfortunately it does not have the ability to re-program through MIDI or other means a user could do. It has to be re-programmed at the factory or certain repair centers. What country are you located?

red-noise

I’m in Chicago / USA … It’s out of warranty; does that matter for a firmware update?

Quote:
    I’m in Chicago / USA … It’s out of warranty; does that matter for a firmware update?

I will private message you.

Quote:
    Quote:

thanks,
    – Scott

Unfortunately it does not have the ability to re-program through MIDI or other means a user could do. It has to be re-programmed at the factory or certain repair centers. What country are you located?

I have the exact same issue, and don’t want to send my 8step in again because I don’t want to receive a new unit with new issues and different levels again. How do I flash the 8step myself? Why doesn’t EHX allow to do that via standard MIDI SysEx?? Why aren’t there public firmware updates?

red-noise

I imagine that would have increased the price considerably, and surely EHX wasn’t expecting to issue a bunch of updates over the years. I don’t see this as being a big problem actually because the price point was really sweet when it first came out. (But now the SQ1 from Korg is hard to compete against…)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.