Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 8 Step Program MIDI issues.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hi there,

William from Molten Voltage here. We make PedalSync MIDI PedalBoard controllers and were very excited to get the 8-step. Unfortunately, apart from the MIDI Clock sync, the MIDI implementation has a number of issues, some of which have been described above.

Program Change messages do not consistently call up the correct preset and sometimes no preset at all. Sometimes Program Change messages on the wrong MIDI channel cause a preset change. (CC 118 failed to call up any presets at all, regardless of MIDI channel).

We have the 8-step synced to the Strymon TimeLine, Eventide PitchFactor, and our own devices and all those recall their presets without any issue. We’ve tested it extensively using our own Master Control, as well as different USB MIDI devices and MIDI software.

Let me be clear, we REALLY want this device to work well, because it complements our MIDI PedalBoard devices.

Please let us know when you get these issues resolved.

Thank you.

Quote:
    Hi there,

William from Molten Voltage here. We make PedalSync MIDI PedalBoard controllers and were very excited to get the 8-step. Unfortunately, apart from the MIDI Clock sync, the MIDI implementation has a number of issues, some of which have been described above.

Program Change messages do not consistently call up the correct preset and sometimes no preset at all. Sometimes Program Change messages on the wrong MIDI channel cause a preset change. (CC 118 failed to call up any presets at all, regardless of MIDI channel).

We have the 8-step synced to the Strymon TimeLine, Eventide PitchFactor, and our own devices and all those recall their presets without any issue. We’ve tested it extensively using our own Master Control, as well as different USB MIDI devices and MIDI software.

Let me be clear, we REALLY want this device to work well, because it complements our MIDI PedalBoard devices.

Please let us know when you get these issues resolved.

Thank you.

Thanks for the report. We’re working on resolving the MIDI issues now and have made good progress this week.

We have a software update available for the 8 Step that resolves the MIDI issues. All 8 Step Programs are now being shipped with the MIDI software upgrade. If you have an early version and feel you are experiencing MIDI implementation anomalies, please contact EHX Customer Service at poster [@] sovtek.com.

Unfortunately the 8 Step is not user upgradeable. Our service centers in UK and Germany will have this update available in about 1 week.

There are also a couple added new features that are implemented with the new software update. Here’s a complete list of bug fixes and new features:

– BUG: MIDI Program Change and CC messages are no longer ignored after receiving other MIDI messages nor are these messages misinterpreted by the 8 Step now. Please note: the 8 Step can’t really handle receiving more than 4 PC messages per second. If the PC messages come in at a faster rate, it may skip some of them and move on to the following PC message. Receiving fast PC messages will no longer crash the 8 Step.

– BUG: The 8 Step’s digit display, when set to presets, updates the display number when you send a MIDI PC message between 0 and 9. If you send a PC message above 9, and the 8 Step has a preset stored in that location, the display will blink the number 9. If you send a PC message for a preset that is empty, the 8 Step ignores that PC message.

– NEW FEATURE: Random mode now does not allow the last chosen step to be picked on the next sequence step. So, for example, step 7 will not be picked twice in a row.

– NEW FEATURE: Optional Global Tempo Mode: when Global Tempo is enabled, the rate setting for each preset is ignored when the presets are loaded. The 8 Step continues at the previous tempo before the preset had been loaded. For example, you tap in a tempo, then load preset 3. Preset 3 will playback at the tapped in tempo, not at the tempo it is set to within its preset, although if the tempo is tapped in, the preset’s TAP DIVIDE setting will still be in effect. The Global Tempo mode is not saved with presets but your last setting for this mode is remembered when power cycling. Instructions to enable/disable this mode are below.

– NEW FEATURE: Two Different BOUNCE Modes: The 8 Steps ships with a Bounce mode that does not repeat the first and last step of the sequence when running through the sequence. If the Sequence Length is set to 8, in Bounce mode, you would have a total of 14 steps per cycle. You can now, optionally, set Bounce to repeat the first and last steps of the sequence. With SL set to 8, the total sequence length is 16 steps per cycle. This is a global feature and is not saved with presets but your last setting is remembered during power cycles.

Instructions for changing Global Tempo or Bounce mode:
    1. Press and hold the TAP DIVIDE button for 3 seconds.
    2. After three seconds, the GL and DIR LEDs above the digit display will light up. Continue to hold down the TAP DIVIDE button during the follwing steps.
    3. The digit display will display the current mode, a number between 0 and 3. If this is the first time you are using this feature, it will display 0.
    4. Turn the MODE knob to choose the mode you want, the modes are numbered 0 through 3. Here is an explanation of each mode:

0: Global Tempo = OFF; Bounce Mode = 14 Step (This is the factory default, Bounce does not repeat each step at the ends of the sequence)
    1: Global Tempo = ON; Bounce Mode = 14 Step
    2: Global Tempo = OFF; Bounce Mode = 16 Step (Bounce hangs on each step at the ends of the sequence for two ticks of the sequence clock)
    3: Global Tempo = ON; Bounce Mode = 16 Step

5. Once set to the mode you want, release the TAP DIVIDE button, the 8 Step remembers the setting in its configuration settings.

stiiiiiiive

Hey Flick.

Thanks for having been dedicated to problem resolution.
    My 8-step should land within a couple of days now. I ordered it from MusikStore in Germany and was sent around the 22 june – they did not have any before that.

Are you able to predict whether this particular batch will benefit the newer corrected MIDI implementation? Or should I run tests myself, i.e. look for the new features?

Thanks!

Quote:
    Hey Flick.

Thanks for having been dedicated to problem resolution.
    My 8-step should land within a couple of days now. I ordered it from MusikStore in Germany and was sent around the 22 june – they did not have any before that.

Are you able to predict whether this particular batch will benefit the newer corrected MIDI implementation? Or should I run tests myself, i.e. look for the new features?

Thanks!

Most likely the 8 Step you receive will have the software update. Here’s how you can know for sure:

When you power up the 8 Step it does a little start up light show. If you watch the single digit display, it runs through a bunch of characters. It will hang on a number for the last second or so of startup, that number indicates the version of software the 8 Step is running. If the number is a 2, then it has the software update.

stiiiiiiive

Thanks Flick. I’ll do that :)

MotorBongo

I checked my recently bought one for which software/firmware and saw a ‘3’ appearing,
    so likely another update was issued.

Is that the last one out there ?

What have been the updates/additions wrt version ‘2’?

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.