Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 720 digital noise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rraymmarquez

hi!

i just bought a 720, like 3 hours ago; i tried at the store and it was fine (or at least that’s what i remember) then i get home, plung my new looper, and BOOM, digital noise in the playback.

i used the included power supply, tried different cables, tried different outlets, even different guitars, i tried the 720 alone and in a signal chain. but no. just this noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3O70ZJ1mjo

and, i could think it was the wiring in my place, but noup, i use a Cathedral and a DL-4 and those guys don’t have any noise. this thing sounds like digital noise from the pedal; not a grounding issue or something like that

any help, please

gvelasco

I don’t have a 720. I have the 360 and I haven’t had any problems with it, but the 720 is a different circuit.

Digital boxes seem to be more susceptible to interference from things like wireless routers, cable modems, ASL modems, fiber optic modems, ‘puters…that kind of thing. In other words, other digital stuff. I know it’s a hassle, but can you try putting your 720 on something longer than a patch cord and try re-orienting it…moving it around the room, changing the diretion it faces. Move it closer to and farther away from things that might be causing interference like those thing I mentioned? Also, do you have LED or fluorescent lights in your room? Can you try moving your 720 to and away from your LED or fluorescent lights? Use the 720 like a geiger counter and let us know if you can find something that it seems to be picking up noise from.

rraymmarquez

it’s weird; i moved all around the house and the same noise exist, somebody told me it was clipping, but i was playing clean, and i use a squier jaguar. i don’t have any LEDs or flourescent lights at my house :/

i’ve seen several people addresing this issue, maybe a bad batch from EHX? i’ll try it at my work to see if something changes

gvelasco

Sorry. :-( Sounds like a bad unit.

EHX STAFF
    Keymaster

Are you using the power supply that came with the unit. Try not daisy chaining and pedals with it. Try it by it self.
    Also record a loop and while recording turn the volume on your guitar all the way down. If the noise stops it is getting in through the guitar.
    If there still is a problem please exchange or contact service.
    info@ehx.com

9-5 M-F NYC time

UK
    ElectroHarmonixUK@Virginmedia.com

rraymmarquez
    Quote:
    Are you using the power supply that came with the unit. Try not daisy chaining and pedals with it. Try it by it self.
    Also record a loop and while recording turn the volume on your guitar all the way down. If the noise stops it is getting in through the guitar.
    If there still is a problem please exchange or contact service.
    info@ehx.com

9-5 M-F NYC time

UK
    ElectroHarmonixUK@Virginmedia.com

i only used the power supply that came with the unit; also tried the pedal by itself; and also, it wasn’t noise frm the guitar :/

i took it to the store a couple of hours ago, they told me they gonna give me another unit, but unfortunely the 720 it’s out of stock, so i just have to wait ’til they have it on stock

rraymmarquez
    Quote:
    Sorry. :-( Sounds like a bad unit.

it actually was; the guys at the store told they were gonna changed it, but unfortunely the 720 was out of stock, so now, i’ll have to wait a month!

pepe

Hi there

I’ve just bought a new ehx 720 and same thing happens: strange digital noise in the recordings: tried several guitars, amps and ehx power supplies with no difference….

Anybody has this issue sorted out?
    Are there a bunch of malfunctioning units?

there’s a YT video that perfectly shows the issue >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3O70ZJ1mjo

Any help from EHX?

thanks

rraymmarquez
    Quote:
    Hi there

I’ve just bought a new ehx 720 and same thing happens: strange digital noise in the recordings: tried several guitars, amps and ehx power supplies with no difference….

there’s a YT video that perfectly shows the issue >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3O70ZJ1mjo

Any help from EHX?

thanks

unfortunately, you have a bad unit; return it to the store and ask for another one; that’s how i solved my the problem with mine

pepe
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Hi there

Any help from EHX?

thanks

unfortunately, you have a bad unit; return it to the store and ask for another one; that’s how i solved my the problem with mine

Thanks a lot man, I’ll do that and keep you informed. Cheers

Edited: You were right, there’s a bunch of faulty units…. Changed it and the new one works without the horrible digital noise… IMHO EHX should advise/retire those units.
    Thanks again!

deepsun

I just got a 720 today and am having the exact same issue heard in the YouTube video. The noise sounds the same — a static, digital artifact the occurs only during playback. I’ve tried using the included power supply and have completely isolated the pedal from any other pedals. I tried plugging it into an outlet that I know is on a different circuit in my house, and recorded my guitar into the looper without an output cable from the looper to anything else. I’ve tried it into my guitar amp and directly into my computer interface. The noise, static, artifact persists in all scenarios. It’s clear that the noise is associated with the unit itself because saving recordings to a couple of memory banks and moving the unit to different outlets, and between my amp and my interface, because the noise occurs as soon as playback starts.

Has anyone else gotten a unit without the issue? The guy in the linked YouTube video ended up going with a Ditto X2 because he couldn’t find a fix. I’d rather not do that, so I’m hoping the shop I bought it from can get me a replacement that is quiet.

pepe

Hi! I changed my unit for a new one and it works perfectly now… I’ll advise you to return it and get a new one.
    Best!

Quote:
    I just got a 720 today and am having the exact same issue heard in the YouTube video. The noise sounds the same — a static, digital artifact the occurs only during playback. I’ve tried using the included power supply and have completely isolated the pedal from any other pedals. I tried plugging it into an outlet that I know is on a different circuit in my house, and recorded my guitar into the looper without an output cable from the looper to anything else. I’ve tried it into my guitar amp and directly into my computer interface. The noise, static, artifact persists in all scenarios. It’s clear that the noise is associated with the unit itself because saving recordings to a couple of memory banks and moving the unit to different outlets, and between my amp and my interface, because the noise occurs as soon as playback starts.

Has anyone else gotten a unit without the issue? The guy in the linked YouTube video ended up going with a Ditto X2 because he couldn’t find a fix. I’d rather not do that, so I’m hoping the shop I bought it from can get me a replacement that is quiet.[/quote

Quote:

Has anyone else gotten a unit without the issue? The guy in the linked YouTube video ended up going with a Ditto X2 because he couldn’t find a fix. I’d rather not do that, so I’m hoping the shop I bought it from can get me a replacement that is quiet.

From what dealer did you purchase your 720 Looper? We do recommend you exchange it for a new one but also we would like to check this unit to see what’s going on with it.

deepsun
    Quote:
    Quote:

From what dealer did you purchase your 720 Looper? We do recommend you exchange it for a new one but also we would like to check this unit to see what’s going on with it.

I got it brand new from GearTree. Since it was the weekend and I knew I wouldn’t get a response from them until today, I tested the unit a little more to see if I could eliminate the noise.

I tried all of the memory banks and the noise persists. As well, I tried using a 9V battery, thinking maybe the entire house has circuitry issues, even though none of my other pedals exhibit anything close to what the 720 is doing. I also tried another guitar. None of those things made a difference — the noise presents itself in all scenarios during playback of a loop. The noise actually gets worse when I engage a combination of reverse and 1/2 speed.

When they get back to me, I’ll mention that you want to take a look at it. Thanks!

Thank you. Engineering has not received one of these faulty units back yet and we don’t know what’s going on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.