Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 45,000 MIDI out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Poidsnet

I ended up fixing this.

When creating the loop, while Quantize is enabled, press the PLAY button on the 45000 during beats 3 and 4 of the last bar you wish to record. The 45000 will continue recording to the end of the bar and then immediately begin looping without a delay.

ian.warwick

I am also having issues using the EHX 45000 as MIDI clock master with a Korg Monologue (I also want to sync the arpeggiator).

I want the Korg Monologue to sync to the EHX 45000 but it does not seems to be completely out. I would have thought regardless of what loop I record on the EHX 45000 it could send out the right clock signal to slave devices? (I have set the Korg as a slave)

Are there any specific requirements of using the EHX 45000 as clock master that need to be considered?

Quote:
    I am also having issues using the EHX 45000 as MIDI clock master with a Korg Monologue (I also want to sync the arpeggiator).

I want the Korg Monologue to sync to the EHX 45000 but it does not seems to be completely out. I would have thought regardless of what loop I record on the EHX 45000 it could send out the right clock signal to slave devices? (I have set the Korg as a slave)

Are there any specific requirements of using the EHX 45000 as clock master that need to be considered?

The 45000 continuously sends out MIDI Clock on the MIDI OUT connector as long as the EXT. CLOCK LED is off. It will also send MIDI START and MIDI STOP commands when you press the PLAY button.

ian.warwick
    Quote:
    The 45000 continuously sends out MIDI Clock on the MIDI OUT connector as long as the EXT. CLOCK LED is off. It will also send MIDI START and MIDI STOP commands when you press the PLAY button.

Hey trig thanks for the response this is exactly what I did and nothing syncs as slave to the EHX 45000, I get the start/stop commands, it adjusts the tempo but every device I use (The Korg Monologue, Korg Minilogue or an Elektron Digitakt) does not sync correctly.

Quote:
    Quote:

Hey trig thanks for the response this is exactly what I did and nothing syncs as slave to the EHX 45000, I get the start/stop commands, it adjusts the tempo but every device I use (The Korg Monologue, Korg Minilogue or an Elektron Digitakt) does not sync correctly.

Just curious how you confirmed that the 45000 is sending out MIDI Start, Stop and Clock commands? Thanks.

ian.warwick
    Quote:
    Just curious how you confirmed that the 45000 is sending out MIDI Start, Stop and Clock commands? Thanks.

Hey Flick,

I confirmed this because the slave devices respond to start/stop commands by starting and stopping their own sequencers. I think you could probably slaves any device (considering I tried three of them) to an EHX 45000 and see if it works for yourself. Maybe its my unit, not sure :(

EDIT: I just recorded a 75BPM loop down into the 45000, then made the 45000 master to the device that I recorded audio loop from (A Digitakt Drum machine) and the clock signal that the EHX sends out for the 75 BPM loop registers on the slave registers between 118-119 BPM. Thats not even double, so something is really up here, totally lost :(

If I got this working it would open up a whole new world… the original OP claimed he fixed it but did not say how…

Quote:
    Hey Flick,

I confirmed this because the slave devices respond to start/stop commands by starting and stopping their own sequencers. I think you could probably slaves any device (considering I tried three of them) to an EHX 45000 and see if it works for yourself. Maybe its my unit, not sure :(

EDIT: I just recorded a 75BPM loop down into the 45000, then made the 45000 master to the device that I recorded audio loop from (A Digitakt Drum machine) and the clock signal that the EHX sends out for the 75 BPM loop registers on the slave registers between 118-119 BPM. Thats not even double, so something is really up here, totally lost :(

If I got this working it would open up a whole new world… the original OP claimed he fixed it but did not say how…

When you recorded the 75BPM loop onto the 45000, what was the MIDI Clock master during this recording? Was the 45000 set to internal or external sync during this recording?

ian.warwick
    Quote:
    When you recorded the 75BPM loop onto the 45000, what was the MIDI Clock master during this recording? Was the 45000 set to internal or external sync during this recording?

It was set to internal.

Quote:
    Quote:

It was set to internal.

Was the 45000 outputting 75 BPM when you made the recording? When you measure the 118 or 119 BPM from the 45000 where is the TEMPO slider located on the 45000? If you move the TEMPO slider on the 45000 does the BPM change on the drum machine? Make sure the drum machine is set to follow MIDI Clock sync from the 45000 when you record the drum pattern onto the 45000.

ian.warwick
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

It was set to internal.

Was the 45000 outputting 75 BPM when you made the recording? When you measure the 118 or 119 BPM from the 45000 where is the TEMPO slider located on the 45000? If you move the TEMPO slider on the 45000 does the BPM change on the drum machine? Make sure the drum machine is set to follow MIDI Clock sync from the 45000 when you record the drum pattern onto the 45000.

Hey Flick thanks for the quick reply and continued support!

Not sure what the 45000 was outputing because I recorded the loop into the EHX 45000 using NEW LOOP + REC, then NEW LOOP to complete the loop. I expected that since I know the source audio was a loop at 75BPM then this would get picked up (at least multiples of that reading).

When measuring the BPM the tempo slider is set to default position (for this recording somewhere in the middle) and the indicator LED shows that the BPM is unchanged from original recording.

The drum machine is set as MIDI clock slave and the TEMPO slider adjusts the drum machine accordingly… just not at the right BPM causing it to not sync.

I opened up the TEMPO.TXT file of the recording and its actually

Code:
    Record:
    Tempo= 118.12527 bpm (Min 59 to max 240)
    QUANTISE= Off (Off or On)
    STEREO= On (Off or On)
    Last Play:
    TEMPO POT= 62 (0 to 127 or blank)
    OCTAVE= Off (Off or On)
    REVERSE= Off (Off or On)
    You can use Notepad to edit this file when importing track files. In
    that case put value in Record Tempo but leave TEMPO POT value blank.

Which is weird because the loop is actually 75BPM , strange? :(

does the tempo slider need to be in a specific position before recording? Gonna try this :)

Here’s the thing, the 45000 does not pick up the tempo from the audio that it records, the tempo is either determined by the TEMPO slider or by receiving MIDI Clock if EXT. CLOCK is enabled on the 45000. If you want to record a drum pattern in sync with the 45000, MIDI Clock must be used so that the two machines are in sync at the time you record the loop. In this case the drum machine must be following the 45000’s MIDI Clock tempo at the time you record the loop. So if you want to record a loop at approximately 75BPM do the following:

1. On the 45000, make sure EXT. CLOCK is disabled. In this state the 45000 outputs MIDI Clock based on the position of the TEMPO slider.
    2. Connect a MIDI cable to MIDI OUT on the 45000 and MIDI IN on the drum machine.
    3. On the drum machine set it to sync to MIDI Clock.
    4. Enable QUANTIZE on the 45000, the QUANTIZE LED should be lit.
    5. Press NEW LOOP on the 45000, the drum machine should begin playback.
    6. Press RECORD on the 45000, the drum machine will reset playback to beat 1. The 45000 begins recording after the 4-beat Count-In.
    7. When enough bars have passed, press the PLAY or NEW LOOP buttons on the 45000 to stop recording the loop.

ian.warwick
    Quote:
    Here’s the thing, the 45000 does not pick up the tempo from the audio that it records, the tempo is either determined by the TEMPO slider or by receiving MIDI Clock if EXT. CLOCK is enabled on the 45000. If you want to record a drum pattern in sync with the 45000, MIDI Clock must be used so that the two machines are in sync at the time you record the loop. In this case the drum machine must be following the 45000’s MIDI Clock tempo at the time you record the loop. So if you want to record a loop at approximately 75BPM do the following:

1. On the 45000, make sure EXT. CLOCK is disabled. In this state the 45000 outputs MIDI Clock based on the position of the TEMPO slider.
    2. Connect a MIDI cable to MIDI OUT on the 45000 and MIDI IN on the drum machine.
    3. On the drum machine set it to sync to MIDI Clock.
    4. Enable QUANTIZE on the 45000, the QUANTIZE LED should be lit.
    5. Press NEW LOOP on the 45000, the drum machine should begin playback.
    6. Press RECORD on the 45000, the drum machine will reset playback to beat 1. The 45000 begins recording after the 4-beat Count-In.
    7. When enough bars have passed, press the PLAY or NEW LOOP buttons on the 45000 to stop recording the loop.

Thanks Flick! Got it to work using your advice, I understand now that the EHX 45000 must initiate the tempo via the tempo slider.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.