Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 45000 Looper – Headphone Volume control ISSUES – 2 units were bad so far!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    largeal

I have recently purchased a New 45000. I quickly discovered that the Headphone Volume control was NOT working properly. The sounds never went all the way OFF. It acts like it is not Grounding correctly. When I push down on the Knob or gently wiggle it, the sounds cut in and out. The SAD part is that I returned it to the store (at my $12.00 shipping Expense) and they quickly replaced it with another Brand new unit that is doing the EXACT same thing.
    So far, I have received 2 units, each with the Same Problem, a Headphone Volume control that is NOT working properly!
    The sound coming out of the Headphone and MONITOR Jacks should go OFF when the control is turned down all the way, the Headphone Volume control is at the VERY End of the Signal Path of the Audio Output and neither of my units functioned correctly unless I pushed on the Headphone Volume Control.

There is clearly an issue with these Pots or How they are installed. This non working control can also make it seem that the stereo function of the Panning controls is not working. When it is turned down and audio is STILL passing through it, it is not functioning correctly, and you are hearing audio that is “Cross-talking” as it is not correctly being attenuated.

I am going to return Unit #2 (another $12.00 shipping expense) and HOPE that the 3rd time is a charm…. stay tuned.

By the way, the 45000 is a great unit and fantastic tool, I just want 1 that works correctly!

northerntao

I’m having a similar issue with my 45000 that I purchased through Amazon in December of 2014. Everything works great except the headphone volume. It appears to have no affect on the headphone or monitor volume. The headphone/monitor is stuck at a decent level (around line, haven’t measured it) and is usable, but annoying. Moving or pressing on the knob generates a bit of static but doesn’t change the level.

It actually had the same problem when I first got it, but started working after a couple of days. I didn’t use the pedal for a month or so, and the problem returned after not using it.

Did your 3rd pedal resolve your issue?

largeal
    Quote:
    I’m having a similar issue with my 45000 that I purchased through Amazon in December of 2014. Everything works great except the headphone volume. It appears to have no affect on the headphone or monitor volume. The headphone/monitor is stuck at a decent level (around line, haven’t measured it) and is usable, but annoying. Moving or pressing on the knob generates a bit of static but doesn’t change the level.

It actually had the same problem when I first got it, but started working after a couple of days. I didn’t use the pedal for a month or so, and the problem returned after not using it.

Did your 3rd pedal resolve your issue?

Sadly, all 3 of the New units I bought had the same issue, and it was Intermittent. I can advise the Fastest way to resolve the problem permanently would be to send it to EHX, it should be under Warranty, they fixed mine and it made a Big Difference in using it, it’s much more enjoyable to use now.
    Even though it’s a hassle to pack and mail it to NY, it’s WORTH doing. They know exactly what the issue is, I Wish I had sent the 1st unit I bought to them instead of mucking about for 30 days buying and returning the 1st 2 Units.
    Hope this helps. Good luck.

northerntao

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I’m thinking I’m going to mail it in for repairs, so I dug the box out of storage to prep it. It sucks that there seem to be a great number of defective 45000 pedals out there, as feature wise, there is no comparison. Having to pay return postage on a really expensive pedal sucks too, but I guess there isn’t much of a choice if I want it repaired.

largeal
    Quote:
    Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I’m thinking I’m going to mail it in for repairs, so I dug the box out of storage to prep it. It sucks that there seem to be a great number of defective 45000 pedals out there, as feature wise, there is no comparison. Having to pay return postage on a really expensive pedal sucks too, but I guess there isn’t much of a choice if I want it repaired.

It’s worth fixing it properly, EH has had some sort of Assembly problem with these units IMO. I think it comes down to a Grounding issue for the Pots. I am not an electronics expert, but after my own assessments and 3 attempts to buy a working unit and fix mine, this is what my guess was. IF you Push on the pots that seem affected, with mine the Pan Pots also did not function correctly, but by pushing on them I could get them to make contact and work properly until i let go. So I assumed Grounding.

EH fixed and returned it to me, they did NOT explain what they did, and they do NOT charge money to return Units under warranty, but you will have to spend a little just to get it to them. I recommend it.
    After buying 3 of them, I feel that all these Units are all subject to this minor production glitch, as so many seem wonky, after this, you should have smooth trouble free FUN.

northerntao

Impatient rant deleted by poster – move on please…

largeal

…hmmm, yes missing screws are annoying and Not a confidence builder, but the 45000 looper is such a great pedal overall, and now that yours has been serviced by EH and working correctly means you can really get to use and enjoy it now.
    I’d just email and ask them for a set of screws, and then you’ll be done thinking about it and get on with USING it.

It is true that there is a manufacturing defect in the Units and after getting 3 defective units, I feel that it boils down to a ground issue where the potentiometers are NOT making strong enough contact in these units, and that is possibly a design issue, but they seem to be able to fix them easily enough, it’s just a bad thing that MANY went out this way.
    I am sure some users are not even aware of the issues, on mine they were intermittent, but mostly they did Not function correctly “if” you are paying attention.
    I wouldn’t condemn all EH products or the company, they do make and design great things and these glitch’s just happen in manufacturing… luckily easily fixed, albeit at a small shipping cost to return our units to them, but in the big picture, if this is our biggest problem, then life isn’t so bad IMO… Enjoy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.