Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 2880, midi Ext Clock slave, quantize, new loop… 4 beat count in?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Quote:
    One question – in step 4, if it doesn’t receive a Play command, and I hit Rec a second time, what exactly happens? Is it really the same as giving an external Play command? Or is it disengaging from the master and reverting to its previous tempo?

Hitting RECORD a second is the same as giving it the MIDI START command. The first time you press RECORD, the 2880 puts itself into a Record Ready mode, this is when both the EXT CLOCK and RECORD LEDs blink rapidly. The second time you press RECORD the 2880 begins recording using the MIDI clock to set the tempo.

Quote:
    So my GUESS is that it’s getting a play command somehow from the Looper mode, and as long as it never receives a “stop”, it believes the MIDI master is in a playback mode so it works. Am I right?

That’s right, if the 2880 has received a START command, and does not receive the STOP command, it will begin recording immediately the first time you press the RECORD button. You can also start and stop the loop using the 2880’s buttons and it will allow you to start and stop all you want.

If the 2880 has not received the START command, it will record the loop but if you stop loop playback, it will not PLAY the loop again until it has received a START command even if you press play on the 2880.

feralchild
    Quote:
    That’s right, if the 2880 has received a START command, and does not receive the STOP command, it will begin recording immediately the first time you press the RECORD button. You can also start and stop the loop using the 2880’s buttons and it will allow you to start and stop all you want.

If the 2880 has not received the START command, it will record the loop but if you stop loop playback, it will not PLAY the loop again until it has received a START command even if you press play on the 2880.

Ok cool, this is consistent with what I’ve been seeing. So the trick (for me) is just to make sure it gets a play command when I first start everything up, and I’ll be good to go from then on.

Thanks a ton for your time and helping me clear this up. I still plan to do some experiments tonight so I’ll post my findings just for academic purposes / future readers.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.