Home Forums Help/Technical Questions 22 magnum /44 magnum

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wolfen

I’m considering trying one of these out to go direct into a sound system on stage. I currently use a FloorPod direct for the same purpose, but really want to go back to a simple set of stompboxes.
    Any idea if this would work for this purpose??? Series would of course be Guitar > Wah > stompboxes > 22 magnum > direct box.

Your thoughts????

this will not work

the 22 caliber, and 44 magnum are amplifiers, they must go into speaker cabinets

Quote:
    I’m considering trying one of these out to go direct into a sound system on stage. I currently use a FloorPod direct for the same purpose, but really want to go back to a simple set of stompboxes.
    Any idea if this would work for this purpose??? Series would of course be Guitar > Wah > stompboxes > 22 magnum > direct box.

Your thoughts????

The EH Man

From the 44 Magnum manual: OUTPUT Jack — Connect the 44 MAGNUM’s OUTPUT jack directly to a speaker cabinet. 8 ohm – 16 ohm only. WARNING: NEVER CONNECT THE OUTPUT OF THE 44 MAGNUM TO THE INPUT OF ANOTHER AMPLIFIER, AN EFFECTS PEDAL, MIXER, COMPUTER, COMPUTER INTERFACE OR OTHER SIMILAR DEVICE.

From the 22 Caliber manual: OUTPUT Jack – Connect the 22 CALIBER’s OUTPUT jack directly to a speaker cabinet.

WARNING: NEVER CONNECT THE OUTPUT OF THE 22 CALIBER TO THE INPUT OF ANOTHER AMPLIFIER, AN EFFECTS PEDAL, MIXER, COMPUTER, COMPUTER INTERFACE OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR DEVICE.

Wolfen

so how is this any different then when we connect the output of the speaker heads into the system? we use no cabinets at all. Some people set their heads on the floor, I use a floorpod……. I’m probably ignorant here, so be easy on me…. LOL

you cannot directly connect and amplifier’s speaker out to a system, it must be loaded down. the floorpod is not an amplifier, it is an amp-emulation preamp.

the 22 caliber or 44 magnum must be connected to an 8 or 16 OHM speaker cabinet

Quote:
    so how is this any different then when we connect the output of the speaker heads into the system? we use no cabinets at all. Some people set their heads on the floor, I use a floorpod……. I’m probably ignorant here, so be easy on me…. LOL
    Wolfen

so limiting the signal thru the direct box won’t bring the signal down low enough, eh?

The EH Man
    Quote:
    so limiting the signal thru the direct box won’t bring the signal down low enough, eh?

Not unless it’s a direct box designed to take a signal directly from a speaker output. There are a few of those around, like the H&K Red Box. I have a Peavey one that will take speaker out.

Wolfen

so considering what I’d like to do, go direct from my effects to the line in for the system, got any suggestions how to accomplish this? or is this not a good idea?

You can run all your stomp boxes into your FloorPOD, use the amp modeling in the FloorPOD, and connect that to the PA via direct box. Basically, if you don’t want to use an amp, and still want your guitar to sound like it’s being played through an amp, you need some kind of modeling device between your stomp boxes and DI. Some alternatives to the POD may be the KORG Pandora line, Behringer Vamp, or something by Digitech.

Hope that helps

TGM

KartoonHead

I’ve done this live before using a Behringer GI100 (DI Box with a cab-sim button) which is designed to take the signal directly from your amp, but it’s just not the same, really not the same, it won’t get you anywhere near the sound of a digital modelling thing like a POD, and a POD won’t get you anywhere near the sound of a good amp.

After experiencing it first hand I’d say it’s not where you’ll want to invest your cash, because it’s really not worth it, more of a home recording thing than a live performance thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.