Home Forums Review Your EHX Gear 22 Caliber

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Rick S

I use a pair of 22s and they are plenty loud enough for most any venue. I run them though a 4×12 in stereo. How the 22s work is that as you turn up the volume it stays clean up to about half way. However, after half way it starts to overdrive. The volume though doesn’t get much, if any louder. This works great for the use of distortion pedals. If you are looking for a more classic overdrive sound the 22s are fantastic. Turn it up as much as you want and add whatever od pedal you desire. I’m very happy with my TS9, OD1, BD2 and Marshall Guv’nor pedals with one 22 set to ‘normal’ and the other set to ‘bright’.

Quote:
    preface: i know, i really need to just go test this at the store and hear for myself, but…

im looking to join this band, and i really dont have the funds to purchase a new amp head (yet). i was wondering if anyone has experience using the 22 caliber powering a marshall 4×12 1960A 300w (or comprable). i plan to run some pedals infront of the ’22; when the fx pedal(s) are bypassed, i want to have clean sounds. When they are engaged i’d have overdriven sounds. They are mainly alice in chains songs, so full on distortion (with occational shimmery clean).

The concern is that, as i understand, when you turn up the knob on the ’22, its gets louder, but also more dirty. if im trying to compete against another half stack, when i turn up to match distortion volumes, when switch back to clean, is it going to be clean, or will be dirty?

Johnnyseven

I’m think of getting a 22 Caliber and running through a 1×12″ for home use as my Fender Bassman and Carlsbro 50 Top are a bit loud. What I wanted to know is does the 22 Caliber have a decent amount of clean headroom suitable for playing quitly at home and to sometimes play a bit louder (but not too loud) for when the neighbours go on holiday? Also how well does it take pedals?

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    I’m think of getting a 22 Caliber and running through a 1×12″ for home use as my Fender Bassman and Carlsbro 50 Top are a bit loud. What I wanted to know is does the 22 Caliber have a decent amount of clean headroom suitable for playing quitly at home and to sometimes play a bit louder (but not too loud) for when the neighbours go on holiday? Also how well does it take pedals?

Yes to both questions. I use mine to power my 12″ rotating speaker cab. It gets loud cleans, and it takes well to pedals.

Johnnyseven

So I went and bought a 22 Calibre and it sounds good, however when I played it with my strat (3 single coils with SD Antiquity pickups) it’s very noisy – any idea how to get rid of this noise?

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    So I went and bought a 22 Calibre and it sounds good, however when I played it with my strat (3 single coils with SD Antiquity pickups) it’s very noisy – any idea how to get rid of this noise?

Noise issues associated with single coils are as old as the electric guitar itself. That isn’t to say there might not be another issue thrown in the mix, but there is a very good reason why pup mftrs have been designing new noiseless single coils for decades.

Johnnyseven

I thought it might just be the pickups, i’ll give it a try with my humbucker equipped guitar and see if the problem persists.

Will Chen

Man, this pedal just seems too good to be true! I’m going to have to get my hands on one to test. As of late my pedal board keeps growing (just added an EHX Freeze) so anywhere else I can cut down on size weight is a big plus and this little micro head might be the perfect cure. But 22 watts just doesn’t seem like enough clean headroom to gig with! I guess the 44 Magnum is the alternative…

Johnnyseven

I tried mine though a 1×12 yesterday and it could get pretty loud while staying clean, not sure if it would make gigging volume though – guess it would depend on how loud your drummer is and what the monitors are like.

Will Chen
    Quote:
    I tried mine though a 1×12 yesterday and it could get pretty loud while staying clean, not sure if it would make gigging volume though – guess it would depend on how loud your drummer is and what the monitors are like.

I gig in an instrumental trio and anticipate venues with no PA support (so far so good though). Based on your response, sounds like I should be looking at the 44 rather than the 22. It would be running into a 1X12 closed back cabinet at 16 ohms…

Fender&EHX4ever
    Quote:
    Quote:

I gig in an instrumental trio and anticipate venues with no PA support (so far so good though). Based on your response, sounds like I should be looking at the 44 rather than the 22. It would be running into a 1X12 closed back cabinet at 16 ohms…

Yes, 44 for “gigging” cleans. But if you want some loud crunch or recording cleans, the .22 sounds great.

ejones10

For me it’s great

Johnnyseven
    Quote:

I had my Jazzmaster shielded over the weekend and now there is no hum at all when I use my 22 Calibre, i’m well impressed!

here is the .44 in action (attached). it powers a Bogner Alchemist 2×12. i had my concerns, played the first gig with it last weekend, sound man said ‘turn down’ during sound check. feel more comfortable now. also lots of “so where’s your head” comments. really happy with it.

Johnnyseven

I was surprised with how loud and clean my 22 Calibre could go through my Marshall 1×12. I bought it to use as a bedroom amp and not only does it sound good at low volume, I think I could probably gig with it either through my 1×12 or 2×12 and have enough clean headroom. I might take it to band practice tomorrow to see what it can handle.

fmalitz
    Quote:
    I just purchased a Caliber 22 power amp.
    I have a guitar USB interface what is connected to my laptops USB port and I am using a software to play with various effects.
    When I plug the instrument cable into the Calibre 22 input coming from the output of the USB guitar interface the Caliber 22 cuts out immediately. If I plug the guitar straight into the Caliber input it works fine, but on bigger volume it cuts out. I am using a 100watt 8 ohm speaker cabinet.
    Could anybody advise me what could be the solution to connect the USB interface to the power amp? I have two USB guitar interfaces and the same thing happens with both of them, when I connect them to the power amp immediately cuts the sound off. I was trying to put the volume down to zero on both interfaces, but the same thing happens every time the Calibre 22 cuts out.
    I suppose it has some kind of overload protection but I can not imagine that the outgoing signal wold be so huge from the USB interface.
    I do not want to play with it because I might stuff it up.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I suppose, being new myself, that no one has replied because you’re probably supposed to be in the “help” topics but I’ll try. I was confused by strovachek’s question. When you wrote that you plugged an instrument cable into the 22’s input, are you sure it’s the input and not the output? Furthermore, if it’s a USB interface, does it have a line-level out or mic (guitar) level out? Assuming it has a 1/4″ out at all, if it’s putting out line level, it could overload the pre-amp (input) stage of the 22. The input stage is designed for high-impedance, low-level guitar signal right from your pickups.

Also, it’s true that the fact that the amp shuts down when you play through it without the USB interface indicates it’s either defective, the speaker has a partial short in the voice coil, your speaker cable connector is not all the way in, in either end or you’re playing incredibly loud!
    Good luck. If you can provide more detail, someone may be able to help.
    Frank

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.