Home Forums Vintage EHX 1978 non-deluxe 18V Electric Mistress: is 12V acceptable?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    y4Nn

I own a 1978 non-deluxe 18V Electric Mistress.
    I am currently assembling a new pedal board, powered by a Carl Martin pro power DC supply, which has 9V and 12V outputs.
    Do I have to use 2 of the 9V outputs with a Y cable and adequate polarity invertor, or would it be possible to use 12V output directly to power the Electric Mistress, since 18V is converted to 12V internally.

Has anybody ever tried this?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Yann

ranjam

You have nothing to lose by trying. Some old EH pedals, and I have an old Black Finger, use a +/-9VDC supply, so one battery will not work at all. Yours is a +18VDC pedal, and +12VDC may work. At worst you’d have some distortion issues and maybe it might sound a little different. Maybe the pots will seem to work over a different range, if that makes any sense at all. But you won’t hurt anything by trying. If it sounds good, you lucked out. If not, I would use the +9VDC output of your Carl Martin, and use a charge pump at the Electric Mistress. Godlyke makes the Power Pump, and GigRig makes the Doubler.

y4Nn

Thank you for the advice.
    It gave me the bit of courage to try.
    My EM seems happy with 12V, and appart maybe for the color pot, I did’nt notice big difference.
    Thanks also for the charge pump trick, which I did’nt know.

Regards,
    Yann

ranjam

Yeah, it’s a bugger to pay $30 or $40 for a Power Pump, but that’s still a lot less than a new power supply. Well, it’s the same price as a 1-Spot, and now it adds up. But if you have an 18VDC pedal, what else can you do?

Quote:
    I own a 1978 non-deluxe 18V Electric Mistress.
    I am currently assembling a new pedal board, powered by a Carl Martin pro power DC supply, which has 9V and 12V outputs.
    Do I have to use 2 of the 9V outputs with a Y cable and adequate polarity invertor, or would it be possible to use 12V output directly to power the Electric Mistress, since 18V is converted to 12V internally.

Has anybody ever tried this?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Yann

Misress needs 18V. It won’t work with 12V, but it’s OK to try to use Y cable with two 9V to get 18V. If the 9V outputs are isolated you should be fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.