Home Forums Tips, Tricks, Clips, and Pics 12 string on POG2 – anyone has the holy recipe?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dreamyguy

Hey guys,

I think the topic title says it all. Have anyone come with a good recipe for a realistic 12 string guitar? I have a Les Paul and a Semi-hollow and haven’t quite found the sound yet. Maybe it requires some extra EQ?

Anyway, I’d still like to hear what you have dialed… ;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

dreamyguy
    Quote:
    hmm. i havent been able to play or own one yet but from what i thought, i was thinking it would be as simple as dry and +1 about level

That’s exactly what I assumed before getting it, but now I do have it and can tell it’s not that simple.

There’s something about a tad of sub-octave to give more “body” and something about the detuning as well. Some even say the Q can help. I was fiddling a bit more today, after writing this post, and got an acceptable sound, but still think the highs are too pronounced. Assume there are 9 levels (since there are 9 lines), even though the sliders don’t go all the way to 9:

dry: 7
    -1 octave: 1.5
    +1 octave: 6
    Q: off
    lp-filter: 9 [edited]
    detune: 3.5
    (the rest would be at 0)

I played on a semi-hollow (Gibson ES-335 with both pickups, all pots at 7).

I’d still like to hear what your settings are – those who played or own it…

Cheers,
    Wallace

Kevin Demuth
    Quote:
    dry: 7
    -1 octave: 1.5
    +1 octave: 6
    Q: off
    lp-filter: 9 [edited]
    detune: 3.5
    (the rest would be at 0)

using those settings as a starting point, set it so your direct sound goes straight through (i.e. isn’t going through the effect section), then start lowering the filter – about halfway works for me…

that way, the octaves (the upper octave in particular) will sound more natural and the overall mix sounds more realistic.

of course, you’re never going to get a true 12-string guitar sound, as on a real 12-string the two highest strings are tuned in unison, not octaves.

diegoarts

i don’t own a POG, but a HOG and with that it’s really not that bad – although there’s no DETUNE, which should help here, for a 12-string has a kind of chorussy sound.

i think it depends an what you’re after. for strumming chords it will sound pretty close, but pickings are a different thing – except – as Kevin Demuth wrote – you don’t use the B and E strings!

with the hog, the best result i could get, was the dry output note at 9 or 10 and – strangely – a octave bended original note. that sounded better than an octave up for me. i added a tiny bit of octave down and 2 oct up, but i prefered a dirtier sound and this way it came alive!

good luck

diego

Cauli
    Participant

I have found that the POG2 is really great at simulating a 12-string when playing arpeggios. I play a 335 and I find it works the best using the bridge pickup with the tone around 7.
    My settings are:
    Dry – 8
    Octave +! – 5
    Q – 2
    Attack – 1
    LP – 7
    Detune – 3

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.